Notes from Wednesday’s day two of the Patriots annual minicamp.
- Offensive lineman Billy Yates and Dan Stevenson stayed after practice to work on long snapping, and rookie free agent Brian Barthelmes stayed late to work on snaps from center with coach Dante Scarnecchia.
- James Sanders stayed stride for stride with tight end Benjamin Watson on one play and broke up a pass. And seems to be improving his game.
- Tight end David Thomas and running back Kevin Faulk stood out with nice hands in the passing game.
- Receiver Reche Caldwell was on the receiving end of a long touchdown toss with Ellis Hobbs in coverage on one play in 7-on-7 drills.
- Tight end Benjamin Watson caught three straight passes in red-zone work against the defense. On a fourth straight attempt, defensive back Chad Scott made a nice pass breakup. Watson's intensity was seen when he dove for the pylon on one play.
- Wide receiver Troy Brown made a great catch, a one-hander in red zone drills, to end the practice.
- My intake on the two kickers, Steve Gostkowski has a very strong leg while Martin Gramatica appears smooth in addressing the ball.
- The team worked on punt returns and gunner drills at one point. The returners were rookies Willie Andrews, Vernell Brown and Chad Jackson; Bam Childress; Troy Brown; Kevin Faulk; and Reche Caldwell. Andrews caught three punts